Re: producing full on tracks… what’s the secret?
[quote author=“ckm000”]at the risk of sounding clueless… what do people use to produce full on psy? it all sounds the same but at the same time it all sounds really fucking good… what’s the secret? what plugins? sample cd?
Most likely they use the following (at least the older generation of artists):
lots of effects (delays/reverb)
And sequence with lots of 16th notes, and at 135 + BPM.
Or they do all the above with softsynths (blah)
But maybe the most important thing would be:
2. TIME to create
3. Knowing the limitations of your gear…And knowing how to manipulate it to the FULLEST extent…Having one or two items you know really well is better than a room full of synths…
Try putting on your favorite track; listen to it about 10 times in a row with a pair of headphones, and try to reproduce it.Then try to record a half way decent mix and have someone master it for you (to make it sound “full on”, big..)
Either a couple of things will happen:
1. A really bad sounding track
2. A really good sounding track
3. A track that sounds remotely familiar
4. A track that sounds like you.
5. A track that will never get finished as you will keep fixing/deleting etc..
But my advice is not to take anyones advice…Especially mine..
Depending on who you talk with, I make horrible records…And I tend to agree..