Thoughts on the DMT experience (with excerpts fom Peter Meyer)
Although the amazing kaleidoscopic visual patterns experienced under the influence of DMT are sufficient in themselves to command attention among students of psychedelics, the really interesting part of the experience may well be the apparent contact with alien beings. Since some may feel reluctant to admit the possibility of the existence of alien beings getting in contact with DMT-modified humans, we should consider all hypotheses that might explain the observations, or at least, be consistent with them.
Several questions can be distinguished. At the least controversial level the matter can be approached from the point of view of orthodox physical science, in particular, neuropharmacology (which, like all other branches of natural science in the West is a part of physical science in the wider sense, since Western science acknowledges no reality other than the physical). When approached from this perspective we can ask: What exactly is going on when those DMT molecules get in there among the neurons of the brain, causing it to function in what appears subjectively to be a radically different manner?
Secondly, we can seek a phenomenology of the DMT experience. What do people experience, and how do their experiences differ? How often do they experience contact with entities, and when they do what are they seen as and seen to be doing? What is happening, for example, when some people report seeing thousands of these entities simultaneously? Even more interesting is the phenomenon of communication, or attempted communication, which many explorers report. Some also report seeing the entities communicating with each other, in some kind of mutual exchange - but of what?
Finally there is the question of the independent reality of the entities. Explorers report experiences of contact with communicating beings whose independent existence at the time seems self-evident. These experiences are not described as dream-like. If the entities have an existence independent of the DMT-influenced subject then a realm of existence has been discovered which is quite other than the consensus reality which most of us assume is the only real world.
Such a discovery of a separate reality would directly challenge the foundations of the modern Western view of the world. One might be tempted to say that it would be the most revolutionary change in our understanding of reality since the fish crawled out on land, but this would be to overlook the fact that the worldview of the modern West is a comparatively recent invention, stemming mainly from the rise of physical science and technology in recent centuries. Earlier cultures had, and non-Western cultures still have, more expansive views of the extent of reality.
Listed below are eight suggested interpretations of the DMT experience which imply answers (true or false) to some or all of the questions raised above. Some of these, like the experience itself, are bizarre, but at this stage any idea should be considered since probably in this matter (in the words of the 20th C. British biologist J. B. S. Haldane, himself an explorer) the truth “is not only stranger than we suppose but stranger than we can suppose.”
1. It’s all merely subjective hallucination; there are no alien entities. The DMT state may be interesting, even extremely so, but really (come now) there are no independently-existing alien entities to be found there.
2. DMT provides access to a parallel or higher dimension, a truly alternate reality which is, in fact, inhabited by independently-existing intelligent entities forming (in the words of Terence McKenna) “an ecology of souls”.
3. DMT allows awareness of processes at a cellular or even atomic level. DMT smokers are tapping into the network of cells in the brain or even into communication among molecules themselves. It might even be an awareness of quantum mechanical processes at the atomic or sub-atomic level.
4. DMT is, perhaps, a neurotransmitter in reptilian brains and in the older, reptilian parts of mammalian brains. Flooding the human brain with DMT causes the older reptilian parts of the brain to dominate consciousness, resulting in a state of awareness which appears totally alien (and sometimes very frightening) to the everyday monkey mind.
5. A non-human intelligent species created humans by genetic modification of existing primate stock then retreated (a la Sitchin and others). So that we would have a way to call them if we needed to they left behind biochemical methods for contacting them. The psychedelic tryptamines are chemical keys that activate certain programs in the human wetware that were placed there intentionally by these ETs as a way to contact them.
6. The realm to which DMT provides access is the world of the dead. The entities experienced are the souls, or personalities, of the departed, which retain some kind of life and ability to communicate. The realm of dead souls, commonly believed in by cultures and societies other than that of the modern West, is now accessible to Westerners by using DMT.
7. The entities experienced are beings from another time who have succeeded in mastering the art of time travel (or the art of moving from one time stream to another), not in a way which allows materialization but in a way which allows them to communicate with conscious beings such as ourselves when in an altered state.
8. The entities are probes from an extraterrestrial or even an extradimensional species, sent out to make contact with organisms such as ourselves who are able to manipulate their nervous systems in a way which allows communication to take place.
The most well known natural entheogens are DMT and three variations on it.
DMT is the parent molecule of:
Psilocybin is converted to psilocin in the body.
With this knowledge, im leaning towards the explaination in #5 and #8.
Is it merely a coinicidence that our brains contain DMT, which is releated to a compound found in mushrooms which have been being used for thousands of years to make contact with a otherworld?
As a mynd explorer im attempting to come to grips with what is happening to me wilst i smoke DMT. And of course read other peoples tales of their usage.
There is an underlying repitition that anyone who takes the time to read about or use DMT.
Peter Meyer has so interestingly mapped it for us and i repeat it here for observation:
Level I: Threshold experience.
This stage is characterized by an interior flowing of energy/consciousness. It may be extremely intense. It often has a positive feeling content.
Level II: Vivid, brilliantly colored, geometric visual patterns.
Here one is observing a colored, patterned, basically two-dimensional, field, although it may have a pulsating quality. One may remember having seen this before.
Transitional phase: Tunnel or breakthrough experience.
One may see or fly through a tunnel (a passage to the next level). A veil may part, a membrane may be rent. There is a breakthrough to another world (or perhaps even a series of breakthroughs). Alternatively, it may also happen that the transition from Level II to Level III is abrupt, almost instantaneous, with no experience of transition.
Level III: Three- or higher-dimensional space, possible contact with entities.
This stage is characterized by the experience of being in an “objective” space, that is, a space of at least three dimensions in which objects or entities may be encountered. Sometimes the entities appear to be intelligent and communicating beings. This stage may be extremely energetic with an experience of everything happening incomprehensibly fast. Alternatively it may be relatively coherent. Travel is possible at Level III. One may, for example, assume the form and consciousness of a bird, and fly. The limits of this stage, if any, are unknown.
Recently one person who has ventured far into the DMT realm has reported that beyond Level III there is another state, that of “the white light”. Whether this is the same as “the white light” spoken of by Aldous Huxley in connection with his mescaline experiences is hard to say.
As i look back over the last 15 years of study and personal exploration, it appears that DMT is IT.
There is no other, im very hard pressed to think that were going to find another natually occouring compound that goes any further tha the DMT/ayahusca experience.
In the 60’s LSD began the process of our collective spiritual rebirth. Although not a tryptamine, its molecular structure includes that of the tryptamine molecule. Which has been preparing us for our journey home. It was only just over 50 years ago that Wasson went to Mexico and discovered Maria Sabina using the “Mushrooms of LAnguage” for her ceremonies.
So we have had here in the West roughly half a century to investigate and intergrate this type of experience into our lives.
Although DMT was first reported by Spanish friar Ramon Paul, during Columbus second voyage, it’s use was associated with the Devil. And consequently was stamped out in favor of the Catholc Religion.
So what we have here is a UNBROKEN tradition spanning literally thousands of years. Including the Mushrooms.
Passed down from father to Son, from Shaman to neophyte, this expereince of the other is now being trampled on and lost in the mechanized systematic westernization of our planet.
The Mayan Prophecy which states that all will be revealed by the End of their Calendar, i propose has something to do with DMT and its relatives.
If indeed the realm we go to whilst under the effects of tryptamines is the realm we come from before we materialze as bodies, and to where we go to after death…then what could be more exciting and evolving for our nervous systems, then to answer these Questions.
Who are we and how did we get here?
Are we Personalities who have origin in the development of our bodies?
Or do we originate as Hyperspatial entities who become associated with our bodies for the purpose of acting in what appears to us the ordinary world?
From my own research and from others it now appears that by the use of psychedelic tryptamines we can venture into the death state before we die and accustom ourselves to that state. This is the path of the Shaman and the spiritual warrior. At death, when the path is finally and irrevocably made, the psychedelic explorer will enter the realm he or she knows from using DMT and Mushrooms during their life here on this plain. And if all goes well, we will not be swept away by fear and ignorance.
Contact with alien entites in other worlds has been reported from Non-western and pre-modern societes usually in context of their particular mythology and cosmology amking it diffucult to relate to our modern scientific world view.
But, with the advent of the ability to network with likeminded individuals via th eNET, we can now map these spaces for ourselves. and within these maps we can seal the gaps which were created out of a spiritual ignorance that has dictated our religious and spiritual lives, no longer have we the need for the Pulpit and the minister, its time to go back into the forests…...where truly the answer to our questions will be answered…all you have to do is be open to the plant Queendom and her children….
( with excerpts from, “Communication with Discarnate entities”, by Peter Meyer)